Monday, June 10, 2013

I survived Tropical Depression Andrea, big whoop. Also "I'm so excited I am making a Gilly face right now"

Family,
A lot happened this week. Probably the most crazy/ terrifying/hilarious/ spiritual weeks so far out of these 5 months. 5 months whatttttt???! crazy.
 Sooo ill just start off with crazy.
 #1 Tuesday I ate chicken legs with peanut butter. yolo.
#2 We had a break through with the L family. Sis L really opened up to us and told us what she really does for a living. She wants her children to be missionaries and has the desire to live a good life. She feels like she is a lost cause. We bore our testimonies to her and felt impressed to share my FAVORITE scripture in the worldddddd Alma 26:36-37. 36 Now if this is aboasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a bbranch of the tree of Israel, and has been clost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, dwanderers in a strange land.  37 Now my brethren, we see that God is amindful of every bpeople, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.  She loved it. After that day we got a call from a member who told us how Sister L called her and told her how she was very impressed by us and that "shes met with a lot of missionaries and never has she expressed such appreciation for missionaries like you sisters." We were jumping up and down in our worm and cockroach infested cottage. Hard work and trusting the spirit pays off. We finally seem to have gotten used to each others teaching patterns. We taught some solid lessons this week and were BOLD. I've never been the type to be bold, but something finally came over me and I got over it. Being lovingly bold is so important, and I think after 5 months I am finally getting the hang of it. But I'm still not even close.
#3 L R. She was a former investigator, when me and sister H got here we became attached to her.  She has major health probs and we haven't been able to meet with her. Finally this week we did. She told us how she knows that this church is true.  She was crying and saying how she knows it's good. We committed her to be BAPTIZED!!! She doesn't want to pick a date yet, because she wants to figure out if she can get baptized b/c she's on an oxygen tank and her hernia is huge. Shoot. She can still get baptized. She said she knows she needs to get healthy and expressed to us her desire to be "dunked." I love it. We were so giddy the whole day!
#4 Me and my beautiful companions got proposed to by an 80 year old man on Tuesday.
#5 We found out one of our investigators used to be the mayor of kitty hawk. cool huh. "We goin ta get the ex mayor baptized!!"
#6 We helped an investigator move on Saturday and it started pounding down rain. I have never seen rain this hard in my life. We said a prayer that the rain would stop so we could move her things, and it stopped 1 minute later. faith=miracles
#7 We had such a spiritual lesson with Sister Q  and her son who is not a member. We were all crying as we talked about Joseph Smith and how much God loves us and has not forgotten us. The gospel is So true. It just makes sense! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to teach others this true gospel. It really is the most amazing experience.
# 8 Feeling the spirit speak through me and touch the hearts of another. We were teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to a less active member, and for some reason I just went off about Heavenly Father's love for her. I didn't know what I was saying or why I was saying it but I knew it was what she needed to hear. Tears fell from my eyes as I testified to her, and as soon as I finished, I looked around and tears filled the room. The spirit is so essential to conversion!! Without the Holy Ghost, we wouldn't know what these people need to hear, we wouldn't know what is true. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that I am teaching TRUTH to people.  This truth will change lives. The hardest part is their agency. We tell people all the time the importance of reading the scriptures, praying, and coming to church. We need to accept their agency as well. That's the toughest lesson to learn.
#9 So I don't know if you heard... there was  "Tropical Depression" here on the east coast. They even named it Andrea. I am proud to say that I survived the storm Andrea. It was the wimpiest thing I have ever seen. Only a couple trees were bent, and some branches were on the street. big whooop.
#10 On Saturday night we went over to teach A F, set for baptism July 17. We knock on his door and he's like, "Y'all just missed it, I just got interviewed by fox news! So we walk into the trailer and apparently there was a MURDER three houses up in the late afternoon. Wanna know the craziest part?? WE were supposed to be in this neighborhood then, but we decided to help our investigator move and cancel our apt there. Sketch. Apparently it was two men, one man shot the guy and then killed himself. This all happened literally half a mile from our home. CRAZY!!
# 11 On a lighter note... remember K B? Last time we talked to her was the night of institute when she learned about blacks and the priesthood. She wouldn't answer any of our calls and we were about to drop her. Well, we were passing out programs on Sunday and in through the church doors walks K B! She stayed all 3 hours!! Sadly A didn't come because of miss communication about rides, but we got to meet with him after church....
#12 A has been praying. He said he feels good about church and the Book of Mormon.

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!
I love you all. Sorry if this letter is long and confusing. I am having a hard time typing because I'm just so "friggin excited" I'm making a gilly face right now as well. TURGET
Happy father's day Daddo. Hope its amazing. Love you all
xoxo
sister snow
ps:  Have fun at your party Summ! Dont eat too many cupcakes!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment