Monday, March 4, 2013

Sour ball candy and I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY


FAMILY!!!!!!
Hello!!!! This week has been AMAZING!!!  I can not express my joy, so ill start with this: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Monday we got a very upsetting phone call from our district leader about our key indicators. We havent had any investigators in the three weeks we have been here. I was so depressed and we all fell asleep that night crying because we have been working our hardest and nothing was happening. Sister W had to go to Richmond this week with some other missionaries for Leadership, which is like the MTC for a week. So we had Sister E join us this week. We had to take over two areas until Friday so it was hectic. Sister E leaves for home in august, and she was so fun to have with us this week! So, on Tuesday we went about our plans to meet potential investigators, and we had our first appointment with K. I <3 K so much. We taught her the restoration and the spirit was so strong. We found out that she had met with the missionaries a year ago and was struggling with Joseph Smith being a prophet. So we told her to pray about the Book of Mormon, and bore our testimonies of the truth of the Book of Mormon. Everything rests on this book. If the Book of Mormon is true, Joseph Smith was a prophet. If Joseph Smith was a prophet, then the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true! K has two sons and she has such a strong belief in God. She is our first investigator woot wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after 3 weeks of hard work we are finally seeing the "fruits of our labor." She accepted our baptismal invitation, but told us that she is afraid to know the truth becuase she would have to change her entire life for it. We will see what happens! Apparently she had a baptism date for march of last year, so we will see what happened! So thats K!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
We taught a 10 year old boy in Sister E's ward the law of chastity. thats always fun
On Wednesday we met V T. hahahahaha oh man. So I've mentioned we live in the ghetto ya? V T lives just up the" skreet frhum uhs. " and loves her " bhiiible." She answered the door in robe and let us in. We talked to her for an hour about the Book of Mormon and we read the introduction of the Book of Mormon with her. She was very kind and really excited about it! She was wearing this robe that wasn't the most modest... thats all I will say about that. hahahahaha she also is missing about 5 teeth. But man do I  LOVE her!! We are going over the restoration with her this week, and I am sooo excited to teach her!On Thursday we went to visit a couple who had been taking discussions a couple years ago. They weren't home, so as we were about to walk away, her neighbor answered the door and asked if we were Jehova's Witness. We get that a lot. hahah we explained that we weren't but she slammed the door on us. As we were about to leave I had the prompting that we should try the neighbors to the left of us. I didnt think much of it, but suggested that we try the neighbors. This is when we met H. He was super interested in the message of the restoration and gladly accepted the Book of Mormon. He was so polite and we talked with him for about 30 minutes on his doorstep. I though he was baked because his apartment smelled a lil funky and he had on these cray cray sunglasses. Sister E informed me they were dilation sun glasses though. hahha  I am too quick to judge. Dont worry I've been working on that :) So H is our third investigator! It is so cool to meet people who actually are interested in what we have to share! I have been getting so used to doors being slammed in my face that it doesnt even faze me!
After we met H,  we met D.D. She has a lot of back issues and she's the mother of a 16 year old youth in our ward! She's gotten the lessons 4 times, but the missionaries stopped coming a couple years ago. So when we visted with her she was really excited to see us! She told us that its only a matter of time before she gets "dunked." hahahh that was probably the best thing I have ever heard in my entire life. She said she believes in Joseph Smith and she's just waiting for an answer to her prayers about becoming a member! Wow!!!!!!
On Friday Sister W came back from Richmond with all these new ideas for finding people and tips on how to be more bold! Before she came back we went to the college here called ODU, Old Dominion University to practice "By the waying." Which is walking up to people and talking to them about the gospel. We "practiced" this in the MTC and I left the activity crying because it was scary. Ya embarrassing. But, I finally mustered up the courage to speak to this nice looking black man and guess what happened.....He didn't speak English. He just moved her from Africa and didn't understand what I was saying. So that was a nice ha ha from this week.
More miracles of this week: we found a Mexican restaurant. I ordered a cali burrito and guess what Chan? It didn't suck! But that's not even the best part... a man in the military payed for our meal! He is a less active in the bayside ward and said he respected what we were doing! How kind is that?! People here in Norfolk are so amazing. Everyone here has such a strong belief in God. No matter what religion they are, everyone is united in their faith in God. It is so amazing to hear people talk about why they love God and how they have seen His hand in their lives.
Yesterday we met the infamous sister W.  She is a little cray cray. Shes 4 foot 9 and her hair goes past her bum. She gives every single missionary her  "Testimonies." Every fast Sunday she apparently writes up her testimony for the month and then hands them out to everyone. She is the member of the 1st ward of Norfolk, so we don't get to witness this wonderful event, but the elders in the 1st ward told us that they have all 82 of her testimonies posted in their apartment and they read one before they go to bed. hahaha she was bragging to us about how filled up she got the meal calender.

In personal study I have been trying to focus on the bible, but I had the impression that I need to read the Book of Mormon where I left off. I came across Alma 26:27-32, 35-37.
27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
 28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.

 29 And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again.

 30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some.

 31 Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many; yea, and we can witness of their sincerity, because of their love towards their brethren and also towards us.

 35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, ball wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

 32 For behold, they had rather sacrifice their lives than even to take the life of their enemy; and they have buried their weapons of war deep in the earth, because of their love towards their brethren.  I was overwhelmed with the Spirit. These scriptures related to us so well, and it was such an instant faith booster! I love the scriptures so much and the peace they have brought to me. Also Alma 31:31-35!!!!
READ IT!!!

I decided to take the advice of Elder Bednar and start reading the Book of Mormon with a question in mind. So, I took the inexpensive version of the Book of Mormon and I have been reading about how to increase my faith, and what the blessings of faith are. I recommend doing this! By the end of my mission I hope to have multiple books filled with answers to specific questions. ahhh i just love this book so much. The words from God are such a comfort to us, and I wish I had studied them more diligently!!

Last little miracle of this week! Today at the laundry mat, a man came up to us and asked us where our church is located!!! That NEVER happens!! I gave him a passalong card with the churchs address on it, and we are teaching him on Thursday!!! WHAT?!?!?! oh man I have never felt a joy like this in my life! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!! I am having so much fun and I love every minute of it!!!! I have to speak in church on sunday, bring it on!!! The things i used to fear now are my favorite things to do. Guess what mom. I might even participate in a musical number this week. Thats right... singing. If it works out keep me in your prayers :)

love you!!
Sister Snow
guess what i found at the laundry mat... sour ball candies!!!!!!! Dreams do come true

No comments:

Post a Comment